Monday 11 July 2016


April 2016 Week One....

So here we are....House has been emptied, Car boot sales all done and first week in the van.
I'd tried in my mind to figure out how to run my life so that I could actually do this, and I'd hit the first issue of where do I shower, etc? Luckily I had a fair straight forward solution and went to a Gym that was only 400 yards from where I worked and did a deal with them. I managed to get a full membership and rental of two locekers for £30 a month for 18 months....the two lockers became quite important in future weeks :)

So, lets go through day one...slept in the van...I'll post some piccys later of how I kitted it out. For those of you thinking I spent like 15K on a super Duper modern Van, I did'nt have that type of money. I paid less than £2000 and did some prep work on the interior while I still had the house...was a busy two weeks.

So back to day one...hit the gym at 6.30am....the day before I'd sorted out the following

10 Ironed shirts
2 pairs of trousers
10 Black socks
5 ties
Black Work shoes

I'd stored all of them in Locker one...basically everything I needed to go to work in :)

Locker two had the following

Toiletries Bag (Shaver, Foam, Shower Gel, Razor, Tooth Paste, Tooth Brush)
Small Gym Towel
Large Shower Towel

I'd got up that morning at 6.00am, dressed in Gym gear and hit the Gym.
Finished up in the Gym at 8.00am, shower time, change into work cloths, store Gym gear in Locker one...off we go to work...

I quite liked this system as it forced me to go to the Gym most days...but it alsoi caught me out sometimes...more on that later....

Finished up at work...Off to the Gym...shower....and finish for the day. Now, these are the mistakes I made....

Too much gear...thats right...the nice days of having fresh socks and T-Shirts and Tracksuit bottoms and fresh dry towels are GONE. I figured out fairly quickly what needed to be done and latered things around.

Gym T-Shirt...you need to wear it both in the morning AND at night gym session...so it smells abit...live with it

Same with Socks

Same with Tracksuit Bottoms

Towels were the nightmare...damp towels are damp towels whatever you do....I finally figured out a solution.....most gyms have a sauna, I'd hang my towel up in the locker overnight and it dried a bit...but after a few days it was smelly and very wet whatever I did....I took it back to the van one night to try and dry but it just does'nt work and just smells up the van....

I simply put the towel in the sauna when I went for my Gym session and hey presto...an hour later it was nice and dry :)

so it worked out a T-Shirt per day, One white socks per day, a Towel a week and a set of tracksuit bottoms a week. I was washing at a laundrette on a two week rotation as I found that the best system....

Stored all the dirty washing in TWO black bags inside each other...throw a car smelly fragrance thing in one of the bags...I had no issues storing it all in the boot of my car (I had a car as well as the Van, needed for work)

So that sorts out the shower and work issue...lets deal with the unmentionables.....

No comments:

Post a Comment